There are tons of weighing factors that make or break your ranking on search engines for each keyword search. Listed below are a few common factors some website owners tend to overlook, neglecting their importance.
1. Keyword Density - Refers to the repetition of particular words as compared to the number of words used in entire content itself. Google might penalize your site for the over usage of certain words or phrases. For example “We are selling a black maxi dress. Get your black maxi dress now! Buy more than one maxi dress to get 20% off.”
Tip: Moderate your keywords in strides across your content. Placing emphasis is good but going overboard might just capsize your entire SEO efforts.
2. Domain Age - Usually websites who have been running for a longer time rank higher on search engines. This is because they are seen as more stable, established and trusted.
Tip: Give Google time to recognise your site. In the meantime, while waiting for google bots to detect the value of your site, maintain regular updates to show you are proactive and your site is not a one time effort.
3. Where did you place your keyword - Your keyword should be found in your URL, title, picture tags, content and meta tags.
Tip: Build your on-page SEO. You can read more about this by clicking here.
4. Mobile Optimised - This suggest opting to have a responsive website. Responsive websites require only one URL while mobile sites are a completely different entity hence, dividing google’s ability to pick up your site as a whole.
Tip: Though slightly costly, it will benefit your ecommerce store in the long run. Invest a little money into getting a responsive web design for an optimum user experience and a chance to be ranked higher on search engines.
5. Duplicate Content - This boils down to the indication of spam and untrustworthy sites. Content that is seemingly similar though modified slightly can affect a sites ranking on search engines. Also, if the length of content is too short, it would be marked as spam.
Tip: Stay away from composing topics that are similar and keep length of content at a minimum of 600 words.
6. User Reviews / Site Reputation - User interaction between visitors and your site can boost your rankings indefinitely. It could also suggest to google bots that pick up such signals that your site is of quality and worth the visit.
Tip: Host a feedback / comments column for visitors to leave their remarks on the site.
7. Bounce Rate - This is with reference to how long a visitor actually stays on your site. High levels of bounce rate could suggest that your content was irrelevant to what the visitor wanted and left your site to find another site better suited his or her needs.
Tip: Keep keyword searches relevant to your site’s content to prevent high amounts of bounce rate.
8. Site Traffic - The volume of traffic a site acquires will influence its rank. Accumulating tons of traffic daily will set you apart from those sites that are good in content but vaguely unknown to visitors.
Tip: Engage your site on social sites to promote brand/site awareness to increase page views.
9. Social Signals - Having an active and legitimate social account for your brand on different social platforms can do your site justice. However tons of followings and likes do not overwrite weak signals of engagement.
Tip: Be active on social media. Create a buzz by hosting contests or participate in ad campaigns to get your brand name out there. Remember to maintain regular updates!
10. Site Updates - Just like staying active on the social media, regular updates on your website keep visitors interest and excited. Give people something to look forward to be it daily or weekly.
Tip: Come up with a timeline for what should be uploaded on your site and STICK TO IT. Make it a priority as Google penalizes non active sites affecting your ranking once again.